Monday, January 28, 2008


I don't post much about Taylor since I told you all that he was diagnosed with cerebral palsy, other than the fact we were thrilled (if you can be thrilled about something lile c..p.) to find out that the type he had was low on the totem pole and he would be able to live a long and normal life, just like any other little boy.

But, it is getting closer to the dates with the specialists to start his first round of Bot ox shots and casting. I feel like I am going blind into all of this, I really no very little about cerebral palsy and although people reassure me that after all of this I will be a pro, sometimes I think is it really worth putting Taylor through all of this?

He will wear these plastic-like casts on his lower half of his body for 9 weeks, and I have to take him to the doctor once a week for adjustments etc. We have the first bot ox shots before the casting starts, because that is the how the process goes. I asked them if the Bot ox shots will hurt and was met with not anymore than a regular shot. I have my fingers crossed there. Ever since the torturous antibiotic shots he had when he ran a fever for a week straight that left my baby boy in tears and fears of needles where before there were none, I have decided that I am not going to just accept what he or she says is best.

When it comes down to it, the same question keeps running through my head. Why are we doing this again? Oh yeah, so Taylor doesn't walk on his tippy-toes and more. but really, who is it hurting if he is a toe walker until the day he dies?? Sometimes I want to call the pediatrician and specialists and tell them we have decided we do not want to do any of this, we'll just stick to the physical therapy please. Why does Taylor need to go through all of this?? Maybe there is something I am missing.

I guess the best thing would be to call and speak to someone there about all of this, before I throw Taylor over to them.



Phoenix said...

I'm glad you posted about this, because I wondered but didn't want to ask.

I know nothing about it, but I'd ask the doctors and don't let them touch him, until you get an answer you like. And if you still don't like the answer, go elsewhere and ask them. You (and Byran) are his parents and only you can decide to do it or not.

Coffee Slut said...

Listen to your heart. I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs!

Anonymous said...

I wish I had some wonderful words of wisdom or some advice for you.

Im sure before you do ANYTHING that there are support groups or other patients that the Doctor can put you in touch with to discuss any of your concerns. Dont do ANYTHING until you are sure. And right now you seem to be unsettled and with good reason.

Exhaust all options, get information and then decide.

I'll say a prayer for all of you.


Anonymous said...

I wonder how Taylor would feel about being a toe walker. I think either decision will have a strong impact on him as well as on you.
In my opinion (Just my opinion)it doesn't matter as long as you are secure with the decision. If you are, then Taylor will be. It sounds like you're not, yet.
Can it be postponed until you feel better about the decision one way or the other. I think the counseling idea is very good or finding the support group with other mothers that have faced the decision. The Internet has a lot to offer.

Jenny, the Bloggess said...

I've been away for too long. Oh sweetie, I wish i knew the answer but I don't. Whatever you decide will be the right answer though, I'm sure.

Giant hugs, my friend.