I think I mentioned the other day that I started writing at a pretty young age, if my memory is correct, I started writing around the age 8-10 years old. I don't remember the exact age but, I do know it was around that time. I started writing short stories. I lived with my Mother at that time in George in a townhouse, just the two of us. Rough times, but I survived. Anyway, my Mother's room was upstairs, and mine was directly underneath. I remember when she would wake me in the mornings for school, I would stay in bed and wait to hear her shower to turn off because I could hear it in the wall. I had my own bathroom which was awesome! Also, I had a window in my shower!!! I had never seen that before; I loved opening it and the steam would billow out. It was actually quite lower than ones I saw later in my life, but it opened to the woods in the back (one of the things I loved about living in GA) so I could easily look out while showering. However, one time, some kids were walking behind the townhouses my age and I freaked. When I lived in FL, there was one in the shower as well, but it was much higher. I still loved it tho and wish we had one. And if you think about it, it could help with the moisture up in there from showering. At my grandma's and great-grandmothers, they had windows as well but in the wall above the toilet. That made no sense to me as a kid and whenever I had to use the potty, I was convinced everyone could hear me peeing outside. Now, makes sense, way better than an air freshener when you done stank up the rest room!! And my God, could we use that! Taylor is notorious for his farts and #2's. His farts since he was a kid smell like a dying old man. Stale, nasty. There are no words for the other. All I can say is if I go in too soon after him, I start doing the throw up noises.
So back to the townhouse, I love to read and still do. But I was an avid reader when I was young. I was alone a lot, but Mother did get me great books to read. I remember when she got me the Chronicles of Narnia set. The smell alone brings me joy. New books, just waiting for you to open them and discover the worlds inside. I was so proud of owning it. She also bought me A Bridge to Terabithia. Again, my imagine took over and remember those woods I told you about? I loved going in there, with my dog my Mother eventually got me, she was a shit-zu and "we", my Mother would never allow ME to name an animal, Ebony Jewels. She was the perfect size for me, fit in my backpack, and the fun we would have in the woods with my imagination. Our very own Terabithia or Narnia depending on my desire that day. Like I said, I was alone a lot at a young age, my imagination was pretty much all I had. Later mt siblings would tell me whenever we were altogether at a relative's home for the summer, etc. - it was no fun without me.
Eventually I guess my Mother started having issues covering the bills so she got a roommate. This was before I got Ebony. Her name, I can't remember but her cocker spaniel was named Jamie. My mother had great delight telling my Aunt that, and she would get aggravated when I would tell her about them because I get it - A dog did have her name. I wish I could remember the young lady's name, but I adored her!! She actually spent time with me, took me places in her cute little Volkswagen Bug, told me she loved me and how cute I was. My Mother didn't do that. She took over my room, and all of my shit was moved into the hallway closet. That was my "room", and I slept with my Mother. I would hang out in my "closet room" and write little stories. I loved writing them. My only issue was the ending. Still is. And when I would go out in the woods, I would make up stories out loud, me and Ebony. I wouldn't change that for the world! My Mother ended up kicking out her roommate because she got jealous of our relationship. Great Mother eh?
I have continued to write here and there. When I was staying with my grandfather one summer, while learning how to sign language (Thank you Sesame Street!!), I pretended I owned a daycare and wrote name after name that I liked or came up with for the "registry". I also created amazing worlds in the front and backyards, and names and stories for all of my new "friends." We had a tennis ball named Wilson, yes, I made Wilson cool before Tom Hanks lol, a dented-in ping pong ball (can't remember his name at the moment", a golf ball named Titelus, there was a Dun-Lop too but I forget which ball he was. But you get the drift, I was a sucker for misfits. I also had a button family that lived in a special drawer and would "cook up" a mean meal in the backyard out of those strange bean-like things on the trees along with whatever else I found out there.
Will I ever write a book? I don't think so - But I do love blogging which is kind of the same however who knows where God will take us.
XOXO ~ Nicole
No comments:
Post a Comment