Thursday, October 19, 2017

Bubble Rice

White Rice.  Something so simple but for someone who has never made it before, it actually scared Claire and I.  I have made rice before but it was always the Uncle Ben's brand that is in a clear pouch that you just pop in the pot, boil, and voila I had rice.  But when my oldest dog Paris got sick again, the vet put her back on a bland diet and in the pantry was no Uncle Ben's, just a large ominous looking bag of rice.

Claire came into the kitchen as I was reading the directions on the bag.  I asked her if she wanted to help and she said yes.  Pour water in pot, add rice, bring to boil and then put lid on and lower temp - check!  But then the bubbles started appearing.

Me:  What are those bubbles?

Claire:  I don't know.

Me:  Was there dish soap still in the pot?

Claire:  I don't think so.

Me:  Smell the steam.  (My nose was all stopped up from sinuses.)

Claire: *sniff* Doesn't smell like soap.

Me:  This can't be good.  (Bubbles are now slowing creeping under lid and rolling down side of pot.)

I ended up calling Bryan and telling him what was going on while Claire and I stood watching the mess.  It was Science Class ya'll!!!!  He said it was the starch burning off and literally while he was talking we saw the bubbles start to disappear.  Yay for that but someone should really think about putting that info on the bag with the directions for us non-cookers.

At least now Claire and I will know bubbles are a good thing when cooking rice.  =)

No comments: