Friday, July 24, 2009

Toddlers & Tiaras & Crappy Mommies

So last night I was watching the season premiere of Toddlers & Tiaras on TLC, the actual premier was Wednesday night in case anyone is interested in watching but I had dvr'd it so i could watch it at my leisure. I am the first to admit, I am a sucker for most reality TV and this is defiantly one of my favs. Watching these pageant moms go above and beyond to have their daughter/son win amazes me. Usually I just laugh or shake my head at the ridiculous amounts of money being spent, amount of makeup or hairspray, or even the spray tans on these tiny bodies but last night I was just in tears.

There was a family on there with 5 little girls, and the two oldest were twins, fraternal twins. Now, both of these little girls were cuties I thought but the Mom goes on to say how the one who looks more like her is prettier, has a better personality, and just out shines the other twin. She goes on to say how the "lesser" twin has a larger nose and is quiet, timid, and basically just not pageant material, like her sister.

The show went on with the girls practicing and she starts with A, the "non favorite" twin and pretty much tells her she is doing everything wrong and then proceeds to say let your sister show you, and then grins ear to ear as B, clearly the favorite, does the routine and you see A slink off into the shadows.

I was thrilled when A won the directors choice award and if I remember correctly won 4th runner up, something her Mom says to the camera she never imagined would happen. Now earlier during the pageant B was behaving so badly the Father who I had hoped when he made his appearance would lavish A with love but was sadly disappointed when he also seemed to gravitate to B, took her out of the rest of the show.

Somehow B still won 3rd runner up but Mom and Dad made it seem like B would not get the trophy etc because she behaved badly and Dad didn't want to reward her. I was grinning from ear to ear with tears in my eyes when A won her two awards but my heart broke for her at the end of the show when she tells her sister how she won and the B tells her I actually won and A argues no you didn't, you were asleep. And very nastily, B says how Mommy told her though that she actually won.

I know it is just a show and I cant do anything about it, but, my heart brakes for A because she is a real little girl out there having to live in her twin sisters shadow. I hope TLC gets a flood of letters and emails that they forward on to that Mother because someone really needs to open her eyes. A real Mother loves all of her kids the same and even if there is that favorite then by God you do everything in your power not to show it.

*Rant Over*

2 comments:

Jason said...

This is a great site you have here. I have a humor blog myself and I would like to exchange links with you. Let me know if this is possible. Until then, I look forward to reading some more of your posts. Take care.

AJsMom said...

I watched that episode too. And I was yelling at the TV at that crappy mom...