Thursday, July 10, 2014

First Love

Big changes are happening in my life right now with Miss Claire.  Not only will she be 14 next month but she also has her first real boyfriend!  Don't get me wrong, she has had boyfriends in elementary school but we all know those don't really amount to much.  Especially compared to a 15 year old boy with a job and drives!  I am getting a little ahead of myself so let me start off with how we were introduced to this new development.

Over the weekend Claire asked if she could go to the neighborhood park on Monday with her friend Lady.  She said she would take Loretta too which isn't uncommon.  I told her I didn't have a problem with it and that was my last thought about it.  Monday she texted me and said she didn't know if she was still going to or not.  When I asked why, she said Lady didn't know if she could go yet.  Later she texted me and said she was still going to go, for Loretta's sake.  I was fine with that because I know how much Loretta loves going to the park.

When I got home from work, she said she was still going to go to the park and one of her friends were going to meet her there.  She said she had talked to her Dad and he said it was fine.  She went on to say it was a boy so I began to ask questions.  How she knew him?  Did he live in our subdivision?  Etc.  She said she knew him from the skating rink and that he lived in Katy.  He was 15 and was driving over to hang out with her.  I was surprised that Bryan was ok with this but Claire is not one to lie so off she went and I told her to text me when she got there.

Bryan got home about 30 minutes later and I brought it up to him.  It seems Claire didn't share the whole story with her Dad.  She had just said she was going to meet a friend that was a boy up at the park.  He called her and told her he was a little dissapointed that she had left so much information out about this little rendezvous.  He told her she was not to leave the park and was not to get in the car with him.  She was to call us if there were any problems.

Being a concerned Mother, I decided to do a drive by and my heart fell into my stomach when I didn't see her.  I called Bryan, he called her and then she ended up waving at me.  They were sitting at a picnic table over to the side of the actual park.  Whew.  She came home about an hour later and all was good.  I asked her if she had a good time and she said she did and that was pretty much all that was said, until yesterday.

When I got home from work, she decided to divulge more to me about the "date".  She said that Bailey (cute name for a boy I must say) likes her and she likes him so they might start going out.  She is working on getting his friend (a little chubby says Claire) hooked up with her friend Lady.  She talked about how they sat together in the tubes on the playground.  Then she told me, they kissed.  Not a quick peck, but not an open mouth kiss either.  A long kiss though.  I was happy for her.  I remember how that feels.  I did have a quick talk with her though about going too far to fast and immediately she responded oh I know Mom, I do not want to get pregnant!  I am happy that she is so open with me but I have to say it saddened me a little as well because my baby girl is growing up.  And so a new chapter begins in her life as well as mine.  I am trying to prepare myself for the questions that are coming and the heart aches.  Wish me luck!

Update:  I do need to mention she would like for us not to be the parents that drive back and forth while they are at the park.  I started to laugh as I reply that I will do my best not to.

No comments: