Sunday, April 29, 2007

Some Men....

I got a phone call from a friend the other day that got me thinking about something that happened to me in my past. This friend used to be my best friend in high school but we kinda drifted away as the years went by. We now have pretty much nothing common as she is a single mommyfree working girl and I am the opposite of these things, except for the working part. We get together once in a blue moon and sometimes she calls me to chat or vice versa - but the calls always seem awkward - forced.

Well she called the other night and was telling me she was sorry for not making it to my party, that she had a bunch of drama going on right now. In my head I was thinking man, it is really nice to be passed all of those drama days. She went on to ask me if I remembered her telling me about that guy she had been dating for about 6 months now. I told her I did and she said well did I tell you that his brother was on some radio station here in Houston, I told her no I did not remember that.

She went on to say how he had told her he had gotten a job offer in Austin and he was trying to decide if he was going to take it. A few days after that conversation, her dad was listening to the brother's radio station and heard him talk about how his brother had gotten this job offer and how it was a really good job and the only thing he was waiting on was for the okay for him wife. His wife!! My friend is not married. Her dad called her right away and told her what he had just heard, immediately she calls the boyfriend who never answers his phone for her again.

She did some googling and found out that this guy was married, had a house where said wife lived, and an apartment for his lady friends. Wow.

*************************************************************************************

What seems like ages ago, I was 19 and working at an HEB in College Station. I was going to school, working full time, and juggling an off again on again relationship since my junior year of high school. There was a guy that was the front end manager at the store I worked at, and technically we was also my boss. He was 26 and I was completely smitten. It was the first time I had ever been interested in a guy so much older than me and the really exciting thing was, he was interested right back. It wasn't full blown on, we flirted back and forth at work, he showed favoritism to me when doling out work orders, and I was on cloud 9. I had studied this man from top to bottom and saw no reason why I should not be head over heels, he was handsome - sweet- and there was no wedding ring.

Days turned into weeks, weeks turned into months - and he and I got closer and closer. I was shocked one day when he told me that he was actually married but they were separated. I asked about a ring and he said he was actually seventh day Adventist and they did not believe in wearing jewelry or something like that. He went on to explain that his wife had went back home to San Antonio and they were going to be filing for a divorce. I started going over to his apartment and even spending the night there. At first there were pictures of himself and wifey all over the place, but after speaking my dislike - he took them all down, including all knick knacks that were hers. We went everywhere together, but of course in other cities. He didn't want anyone we "knew" to see us together. He took me to museums, hotels, parks - he opened a whole new world for me.

What seemed like ages but really was probably only a few months, he asked me to marry him. I was thrilled and called my family to tell them the good news. It was in little girl heaven. I say this because deep down in that 19 year old body, I was very naive and had led a very sheltered life. The idea of someone hurting me never crossed my mind, especially not someone who loved me. We then found out I was pregnant. I was scared and happy and he just lavished me with love and little gifts. We started looking for apartments in Corpus Christi to move into, and I had a list a mile long for my fairytale life. We went to our first doctor visit together and found out everything was prefect with our pregnancy - and talked how we wanted a boy and I told him the names I had picked out which he said he loved as well. It was every girl's dream come true.

We had planned to go and visit my mother in GA for Christmas. I was ecstatic for family members to meet him. He said he was excited too. The time came for the trip and we got all the way to AL when he decided he just couldn't do this. Imagine my shock when he tells me I can stay in this strange hotel, alone, pregnant with his baby, and wait for my dad to come and get me. And yes, that is what happened - he called my dad, my dad looked like he wanted to kick some ass when he arrived and my Prince Charming was gone. That Christmas I spent the whole time crying, listening to cds, wondering what I had done wrong. My family really didn't know what to say to me. The drive back to TX was the worst because my little sister kept asking me if we could name the baby in my tummy Thumbalina. I felt like I had let my family down somehow, and refused to meet my father's eyes.

There is a whole other part to the ending of this story but I really don't want to write a damn novel so I will stop for now and finish tomorrow. Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I can't wait to hear the rest of the story. Holy cow.

Shauna Loves Chocolate said...

There's more? Can't wait to read about it!

Anonymous said...

Wow - I just came here from Jenny's Naked Blogging - am off to read part 2 - can't wait to find out what happened.