Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Make Over Monday #1

Okay so I know it is not Monday but we're going to pretend like it is for this post. So Shauna over at http://passthechocolate.blogspot.com/ is doing this:

Here's what to do:Choose a goal. It can be a new one each week, or something more long term.Each Monday, write a Makeover Monday post to tell us whether or not you've accomplished your goal from the previous week. Then state your new goal for the week ahead. If you are working towards a long-term goal, just update us on your progress.

So I thought I'd totally jump on the band wagon. The most obvious goal I would like to work on first is the kiddos. I want to have more patience with them, and I want to do more family oriented things with them. I am the first one to raise my voice when Taylor drools all over his shirt or pants because he doesn't want to do something I have asked him to do. What really bothers me is I hear how Claire talks to her brother and it is not good. She always raises her voice if not yells, and she has started doing the same to us. I feel like I am losing my parental control bit by bit. They are both getting older, getting smarter, and of course more challenging. But as they are changing I need to change with them. For the better though. I want my children to respect me, not fear me. There is such a thin line there. And I feel like I am teetering on it dangerously. Please don't think that I beat my children or degrade them, I just need to realize that things can get done without me screaming my damn head off.

The first step is admitting there is a problem though right??

As for the doing more family things, I hate to say but I have become one of those moms who doesn't want to go anywhere with her munchkins because one, I am freaking tired by the end of the week and two, I prefer to keep the kids in atmospheres that I know they will not act like trolls. Does that make any sense? I mean we'll take them to McDonalds or to the park but if someone should call and say hey lets go out to dinner at a nice "quiet" restaurant, I am the fist to say hell no. I can honestly say that they are getting better as they get older. And I know again I am mostly to blame for their ill manners because I did not subject them to these places when they were younger. That is going to change though. My second goal is to start doing more fun things on the weekends that will get us out of the house. Baby steps. Wish me luck.

6 comments:

Hol said...

You can do it! :)

1. You're great with your kids. It's true, cause I've seen it.

It may be tough starting out, but with a little hard work, time, and patience it will pay off.

2. We'll have to go out once in a while and work on "doing more fun things".

Shauna Loves Chocolate said...

Yes, the first step is to identify the problem. I can totally relate to what you're going through. Nicholas went up to the cat this morning and said, "Bad Cat!" and then told me he scolded the cat because he was scratching the carpet. Yeah, he learned that from me. And yes, parenting gets easier and harder as they get older. Good luck!

Shauna Loves Chocolate said...

BTW, you flatter me too much!

Queen of the Mayhem said...

I understand with the patience thing. Sometimes I worry that I use all my patience up with other people's children and then have none left for my own!

I may need to try this...I like it!

GOOD LUCK! I know you can do it!

yerdoingitwrong said...

Good luck, girl. You can do it!!

Heather said...

NO way do I think you are a bad mom because you yell. All moms yell.

You mean there comes a point in mommyhood where we would rather TAKE our children with us than LEAVE them at home with dad? tehehe! I'm not there yet either.

I'm hear to tell ya it wouldn't have mattered how often we took the oldest out in public to nice restaurants...he still wouldn't have behaved well in them. That's why I should own stock in Chick Fil A.