Friday, March 30, 2007

A Real Mom

>>Before I was a Mom I never tripped over toys or forgot words to a
>>lullaby.
>>
>>I didn't worry whether or not my plants were poisonous.
>>
>>I never thought about immunizations.
>>
>>Before I was a Mom - I had never been puked on.
>>
>>Pooped on.
>>
>>Chewed on.
>>
>>Peed on.
>>
>>I had complete control of my mind and my thoughts.
>>
>>I slept all night.
>>
>>Before I was a Mom I never held down a screaming child so doctors
could
>>do tests.
>>
>>Or give shots.
>>
>>I never looked into teary eyes and cried.
>>
>>I never got gloriously happy over a simple grin.
>>
>>I never sat up late hours at night watching a baby sleep.
>>
>>Before I was a Mom I never held a sleeping baby just because I didn't
>>want to put them down.
>>
>>I never felt my heart break into a million pieces when I couldn't stop
>>the hurt.
>>
>>I never knew that something so small could affect my life so much.
>>
>>I never knew that I could love someone so much.
>>
>>I never knew I would love being a Mom.
>>
>>Before I was a Mom - I didn't know the feeling of having my heart
>>outside my body.
>>
>>I didn't know how special it could feel to feed a hungry baby.
>>
>>I didn't know that bond between a mother and her child.
>>
>>I didn't know that something so small could make me feel so important
>>and happy.
>>
>>Before I was a Mom - I had never gotten up in the middle of the night
>>every 10 minutes to make sure all was okay.
>>
>>I had never known the warmth, the joy, the love, the heartache, the
>>wonderment or the satisfaction of being a Mom.
>>
>>I didn't know I was capable of feeling so much, before I was a Mom.


**UPDATE: After reading some of the comments left-I thought I should throw out there that I did not write this, wish I did but it was an email I had received.**

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was so beautiful!!

And, me, too. I don't think I was anywhere near my best self before I became a mom.

Jennifer said...

That was beautifully written! And so true!

AJsMom said...

Wow. That was very well said. I sit here at my desk with tears in my eyes. I wish I could blame it on hormones, but my kid is 2 1/2 now. This must just be sleep deprivation. BEAUTIFUL...

Mom O Matic said...

"Before I was a Mom I never held down a screaming child so doctors
could
>>do tests." Shudder. So there.

Anonymous said...

Lovely.